Another Day, Another Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Day, Another Credit

The twin suns were about to set on another uneventful day on Tatooine for Dekar Janrenk. After a failed mission out of Bestine, he decided to relocate to Anchorhead to start over. He had heard that the city was a fairly small, run down outpost and that made him think that it might be a good place to blend in and learn about his surroundings. It reminded him of his days on the streets when he was young. Watching, waiting, and learning. Maybe he could fit in here after all. It was worth a shot. It’s not like he had anything else to lose. He had nothing. As he approached the ticket droid, he grabbed one of the last few credits he had to his name and paid for his fare, taking a seat by himself at the back of the shuttle.

He was going to have to come up with some way to make some credits though after his bounty mark overpowered him, stole his weapons as well as what little money he had. Luckily, he had put some credits in a small hole in his boot for emergencies. Yeah, this definitely qualified as that, which made him smile faintly. As he got off the shuttle transport, he dusted himself off and walked toward what looked like a cantina. He saw a drunk guy laying passed out next to the door, so yep, he was at the right place. Time to get a drink and figure out what he was going to do with his life.

Dekar walked down the steps into the darkened room, smoke lingering in the air as the laughter of a few bar patrons broke the silence. No one looked up or bothered to take notice of him, which he was more than fine with. He dropped a coin on the bar top and pointed to a familiar beverage behind the bartender. After he retrieved his drink, Dekar made his way over to a booth and sat down, determined to not let his past mistakes determine his future.

As he mulled over his current situation and worked on finishing off his beverage, an illuminated board with various job postings caught his eye. He synchronized his personal holopad and read over the listings: banking associate, bazaar salesperson, entertainer, junk dealer service technician, and shuttleport porter. Wow, not a lot to choose from. Dekar could turn a wrench though, so maybe the junk dealer service technician position could provide a way for him to make some credits and secure a place to live for a while.

He finished his drink and then headed to the coordinates for the junk dealer. The establishment was doing a fairly good business with various customers dropping off their unwanted items. Dekar waited for an opening and then approached the person he figured was the owner. The woman gave a stern look in his direction and then spoke loudly to him.

"Yeah, what do you want?"

Dekar replied, "I am here about the service technician position. I worked in Bestine before at Alna's Anomalies. She would give me a good recommendation if you want to contact her."

Her eyes squinted as she peered at him.

"Alna, you say? Well, she isn't as good as I am. But if you worked for her, you're good enough for ol' Crenta. You're hired. Go in the back and start working on repairing some of the ship parts we have acquired. I figure I can turn them around and make a nice profit once they are in working condition again."

Crenta pointed to a doorway and then walked away. Ok, so he had a job. He could stay in the hotel for a while if needed. Dekar made his way to the back room and saw the large pile of starship parts. Letting out a long sigh, he grabbed a booster overdriver and got to work.

Comment

It had been a week since he first arrived. Dekar was starting to make a living and establish himself as a dependable employee. Crenta could be a challenge to work for but at least she gave him steady work, and even rented him one of her old huts on the outskirts of town. The place was small but at least he had a roof over his head and an income. That was enough for now. It also afforded him the opportunity to listen and learn more about his surroundings.

He was pretty sure that some bounty hunters were in the area because he happened to catch a glimpse of a couple of bounty pucks being passed around discreetly. It made him wonder about those who sought to have someone hunted down, the hunters, and the hunted. Maybe Anchorhead had a seedy underbelly he hadn't discovered yet. Dekar definitely had more to learn about life on Tatooine.

As he finished up work on a plasma transvertor, he set it in the completed bin and grabbed the next component to fix up. This hyperspace integrator was in worse shape than he thought. In fact, he hadn't seen one this bad in a long time. Dekar began to disassemble it and assess what needed to be replaced.

Comment

The month had gone by quickly for Dekar. He had settled into a work routine and even had acquired enough credits from working for Crenta to find his own place to stay, which was just inside the city limits. It was a small apartment on the third floor which overlooked one of the cantinas in town. But it was his and he had earned it.

He had started to wonder if maybe the bounty hunting life wasn't for him after all. Maybe there was another way to find adventure and make your way in the galaxy. He looked out of his window past the buildings and toward the desert landscape. The ripples of the settled sand had a single set of footprints in them, and it made Dekar wonder what sorts of things he could find if he ever ventured away from the town limits.

Sighing in frustration, he decided such thoughts were for another time. He grabbed his satchel and then headed to Crenta's Contraptions to begin another workday.

Comment

Dekar was actually surprised at how much he liked working on starship parts. There was always a new challenge to solve, and he could be creative too. Crenta even threw a compliment his way once every few weeks.

Although from the shouting at the front of the shop, he did not anticipate a compliment coming his way today. Crenta burst into the back room and closed the distance quickly between them, a scowl on her face.

"One of my best customers tells me that his starship is broken down because of a part you said you fixed for him. Now, he is a long-time customer of mine and you're going to make this right for him. I want you to go with him in his landspeeder and fix his ship in the docking bay right now. He is waiting outside for you, so hurry up."

Dekar knew it was best to just go along with what she said. He hadn't ever been to an onsite repair before, but definitely wanted to get things fixed up for the customer. He grabbed his toolkit and went to meet the customer out front.

Comment

Working...
          X
          G-NF0GT8SKB1