• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's all fun and games... {Ewan Isaacs}

Near the Maw
    Outer Rim Territories
    MC90 Star Cruiser- Azrael

-High General Tal Kote had enough dealings between Chief of State Adrian and Director Ilana. The man's experience with politics wasn't the greatest, but he had spent a good amount of time with SpecOps during the first years of his service. Now wasn't really a good time to jump back in with intel and go on missions. He had other plans concerning that of the squadrons in the NR Navy. Some had spouted nonsense that they were the best pilots to fly an X-Wing. That remained to be seen. After all, Tal himself held some good experience behind that of a starfighter. Whether it was an X-Wing or a TIE Interceptor. It seemed only fitting to pull this jockeys out and see where they landed on the scale of pilots. A scale from possibly 1-10. But even if he didn't use that scale; it all came down to skill and overall ability to think a situation through.-

-Now growing more accustomed to the aspects of the Navy; Kote was a little more confident in strategies. Sometimes he even saw himself joining a firefight alongside his fellow pilots. Those his star fighter was a little different to say the least. Kote didn't want to do anything that would place his pilots or the crew of the Azrael in hot water. But there had to be reasons why the MC90 Star Cruiser was traveling so close to the Maw and so many nebulas that would shut down communications.-

-Kote had flown through the Maw only but once. It took pure skill and knowledge that the mandalorian possessed to fly out of it. Of course he wasn't going to have the Azrael go into it. The ship wouldn't last long compared to a small fighter. It would be just the fighter squadron who he had chosen to do this assignment. The Azrael had just left the fabric of hyperspace into the system near Kessel. Kote's bright yellow eyes laid upon the cluster of black holes and ionizing gases that made up what was the Maw. Exhaling a breath of air; the mandalorian stood wearing nothing more then a black shirt and pants. His hair had grown quiet a bit.-

-Footsteps carried him through the vessel to the hanger where the piloting team stood by and prepared their vessels for departure. None of them knew of what was going on currently or what this mission would be like. Only the fact they were rather close to the planet Kessel and even closer to the Maw. This here would be the moment they found out why they traveled so far. All a part of a certain High General's plan of course. Tucking his hands in his pockets he waited patiently watching the pilots prepare their ships for departure. Some who he recognized and some he didn't.-
    Character Video- -Click Sig for Wiki Info- -Devil Dogs Video-
    sigpic
    "The only thing better than having a Mandalorian's mind
    is having a Mandalorian's heart."

-------------------------------------

Sig By: Tearstone
    Character Video by: Adam Faulkner

Time to put up or shut up and see just how good Reese is.

He hadn't been off Telos since he returned to the planet for the first time in years, and now he was on the flagship of the fleet. There wasn't a tension in the air so there wasn't some op going down or about to at least; if there was, he would be in a briefing right now learning their primary, secondary and tertiary targets. This wasn't recon as they would jump in separately, and it wasn't some random patrol otherwise another ship would be out here and not the Azrael. Since he took the time to figure out what it wasn't Ewan no longer cared what it was, this wasn't out of some disrespectful form of hubris, he just didn't worry about it like others seemed to be.

One thing he liked about his launch bay assignment was he had views of the outside, so the devilpilot knew where they were, they were at the Maw. That meant that they were either making the Kessel run, or they were running all of the blackholes, or they were doing an actual run on Kessel. So he knew what others didn't, not that it was a competition, though Yellow Leader was a little pompous in thinking that because he was two years out of the Academy that he was something special.

Once pre-flight was over he slowly made his way to the main deck. A bunch of pilots who seemed to think that they were more than they were made him smile inwardly as he looked around. Most were younger than him, hotshots, but they all seemed to be interested in what they were about to do. That lead to problems as it lead to inattentive attitudes and the ease of overlooking the small details. Not that Ewan was an expert but he was more apt to let things just handle themselves. That was probably why he was here.

Sure, he acknowledged the kiGeneral, but he was more interested in looking out the launchbay and enjoy the view. Let the others brownnose, he didn't have to.

Comment

-A lot of these new hot shot rocket jockeys took the High General for granted. Stories were told and rumors were passed around in the New Republic. Many of these rumors were on how unfit Tal was for the High General position. But you had to get there somehow. Kote had enough experience in his past life and as an NR soldier to understand what the battlefield was like. Sure a lot of these guys were older and had a little more experience then him, but they weren't the ones chosen to take up the role of HG. Chief of State Adrian and Director Magge had both come to an agreement of allowing a 'kid' to take up the mantel. And so here he was! Standing amongst a group of fighter pilots waiting to hear what needed to be heard.-

-Standing firm; Kote cleared his throat to gain everyone's attention. The entire hanger was booming with noise and activity. Conversation between the pilots was rather loud, and it seemed like Tal's voice didn't scratch the surface of hot shot pilots standing in the room. Closing his eyes for a brief moment; the blond mandalorian inhaled a breath of air and then exhaled. His voice ran a little louder this time. Causing dead silence within the entire room. Finally his eyes opened noticing all eyes trained upon the military leader of the New Republic.-

"Good, I finally got your attention." -Tal said keeping both hands in his pockets.- "Now I am pretty sure you are all wandering why travel the galaxy to near Kessel and close to the Maw?"

"Well yeah, the only orders we received were to report on the Azrael?" -Shouted a loud mouth pilot.- "I would like to know why I was pulled away from Telos just to come to the dead of space."

-The mandalorian's eyes focused in on the 'loud mouth' pilot who was talking. The man appeared to be a young zabrak. He was at lieutenant rank. So there was some experience, but not enough experience to shut his big mouth. Stepping forward Tal approached the zabrak. A little taller then that one zabrak who constructed his arm and leg. Breathing deeply at the man; Kote could very well tell that this pilot didn't have any respect for the current High General of the NR. Of course; Tal would have to change his mind with that.-

"Stay quiet for a moment and I'll tell you," -Tal responded calmly.- "So, I brought our 'best' pilots here under one roof for one reason. To see if you all believe what you are.... great pilots. This mission should be simple for any pilot to fly. I'm sure you have heard of the Kessel Run? If you haven't then let me be brief about it. It's moving glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught. 18-parsecs is the distance that your X-Wings will be taking. And to add onto that you'll be flying through an asteroid cluster within a nebula arm."

"THAT'S NUTS!!! You can't expect us to fly that can you?" -Shouted a pilot.-

-Kote stood quiet for a moment. This would also be a test of the pilots nerve to fly their fighters. He had already flown this route once and survived it. However, just how many other hot shot pilots had taken the Kessel Run. Probably not many by the sounds of the rising voices in the room.-
      sigpic

Comment

A Twi'Lek Captain next to him nudged Ewan, he wasn't going to disrespect the position of authority that the General was in; he had that experience, but the Captain who was an X-Wing pilot himself wasn't convinced he could do this in his fighter. "I'm grabbing an A-Wing, what about you, Commander?" It wasn't against the rules he was given, at least not yet anyway so why not do something that helps you, right? After all sometimes mission parameters don't call for specific types of fighters.

Ewan was busy just looking at those who seemed to think that the kiGENERAL... was showing his age. At least Kote was beginning to show and exhibit his authority a little, it wasn't going to come overnight but the more people see his intentions the more results that they seem him bring they will come around. Raising his hand as he was about to turn on his heel. Suggestion, have some rescue shuttles out there and ready for those who may not make it. As he turned to leave, only waiting for acknowledgement from the Supreme Leader, he acknowledged the Captain.

I'm going to stick with my X-wing. It's when we think we can't do something that's when we should try to. Did he think he could pull this off? Of course. At cruising speed it could easily be done in an A-Wing or an E-Wing. Did he think that it could be pulled off in a Y-Wing or a B-Wing, or even a K-Wing? No, but that was worth a try on maybe another day, but if a freighter could pull this off a fighter could. Now it was just a matter of grabbing his astromech R8-C3 "Racey" and lifting off. Good thing the ship wasn't far away.

Comment

-The barrier had finally been broken between the group of pilots. Some seemed a little unsure of themselves; while others seemed a little to cocky in their skills. That remained to be seen. With all the loud chattering nonsense coming from the pilots; there stood one. And this was as clear as day... Kote had recognized this one pilot known as Ewan Isaacs. Yes he was a veteran pilot in the NR, and even Jac had vouched for his own skills and abilities to fly an X-Wing Starfighter. That was good. It had silenced some of the more nervous pilots and had some of the cockier pilots burst into laughter. But Ewan had stated a fact... this was a test to see how well of fighter pilots these 'rocket jockeys' truly were. Safety was a prime concern in Tal's mind. He wanted to know that no matter what.. these boys knew what they were doing.-

"Taken care of, I appreciate the suggestion." -Tal responded calmly to Ewan. Turning his attention over to the remaining pilots in the hanger Kote finally exhaled.- "I want to see how well trained our fighter pilots are. Whether it is flying with your systems or blind... anybody should be able to utilize the full potential of their fighter. Which is why I will be coming along to see how well your skills are. Now if there aren't any more questions.... dust off is in fifteen. So I suggest you all take the time to prepare carefully."

-Some of the pilots already seemed a little surprised that the supreme commander was going to jump into a fighter and fly the Kessel Run. However, what many didn't know was that Tal flew through this space already. He had to rely on his overall skills as a pilot to get him through the nebula and pilot around the asteroids that blocked his path. Of course when it came to the fighters; Tal allowed free range to the pilots. Some may go with the X-Wing and others with either an A-Wing or the E-Wing. It all depended on their preference. Even some of the cockier pilots would go with the standard. Tal only hopped they were smart enough to think this through.-

-Given the time limit to prepare; Kote had decided to approach over to Ewan. None to surprised that the man had actually taken the offer to fly on this mission. Tal had already prepared his own personal fighter to perform this 'mission'. So he figured it would be a best enough time to talk with Ewan before everything officially began. The mandalorian had enough run-ins with the veteran pilot and had already seen the bad end of the stick. But he was happy to get any help or advice from him at least.-
          sigpic

Comment

Getting his webgear on as he climbed into the cockpit, Ewan was going through his little pre-flight ritual of eating a hogie before launch as the kiGENERAL approached him rather quizzically. He wasn't looking for a conversation, in fact he was fairly anti-social before flights but this wasn't going to be anything serious, it was meant to be rather fun in fact. So that in mind, "Meteor" could make the exception and talk, at least for a minute or two.

Pulling off his flight helmet and lifting the canopy he stood up and stretched as the kid came into earshot. No doubt he was looking for something, maybe approval on how he handled himself. Ewan could give it, after all he held up among people who really didn't think anything to try and not only show him up but get in his head. It clearly didn't work and "Meteor" could appreciate that. What can I do for you, General sir?

Comment

-He really couldn't understand why, but it seemed like his training on Manda'yaim was rubbing off for these pilots. Becoming more skilled as a leader was only the first step. After all being the youngest military leader in NR history wasn't really something to be proud of. In fact, he needed any and all help from veterans to do the right thing. However, knowing that Ewan was in on this assignment didn't give Tal any kind of surprises. It was actually a good thing. He wanted to see if Ewan was truly one of the best pilots around there.-

"You know I really didn't think you would come?" -Tal questioned.- "But Jac had said you can hold your own. He personally vouched for you and told me that you can pilot even through the Maw. I had to see this for myself. To see how good of a pilot you truly are? But when I sent out the orders to those pilots who stand here I never thought you would show up...."

-Finally, the mandalorian's arms had left the safety of their pockets. He stood the firmly waiting patiently for a response to come from Ewan. Not every military individual took the young High General seriously. It was simply his age and "lack of experience" on the battle field. But it was at this moment that Tal had broken through some of the hot shot pilots here. Testing their ability and skill and practically watching them first hand. Only to see how well they would do as pilots.-
              sigpic

Comment

Lucky for Ewan he was taking a bite of his hoagie and looking away when he had heard Kote extoll his assumption that the Devil Pilot would ignore the call. The comment almost made him choke. It wasn't that Kote was surprised that Isaacs would show, it was the way he said it. He's not going to go all "fangirl" on me, is he? He didn't need to prove himself to anyone, and while it was nice to hear, it made him feel like he belonged in an old Veteran's Hall. He wasn't old, he was just good, he believed it and he knew it. So maybe this was a way of proving that, he didn't feel he needed to like some of the other pilots here, if he failed, he failed.

Pilots are meant to be, by nature, cocky. We need to be in order to keep that edge, keep pushing that proverbial envelope. This is one of those envelopes that pilots need to push. What you saw are not pilots, those are "flyboys", imperious jerks who think that they're better than they are. They're in for a rude wakening. They're worried about their reputations out there, nothing more, and I have to be honest with you, this isn't going to change them but that shouldn't be something for you to worry about.

Comment

Good eye, nice explanation.

-Crossing his arms; Tal was impressed with the overall response that he got from Ewan. It wasn't just words that referred to the pilots here, but he could tell they were also words that came from Ewan's own reasoning for being here. Tal was more then grateful about those words. He knew from what Jac had said that Ewan was a great pilot. However, Kote wanted to be one of those people who saw his piloting skills first hand.-

"That's part of the reason why I called pilots here," -Tal responded.- "And plus I am interested in seeing just how you will handle yourself out there. I have only taken this route once, and all I have to say is I am thankful for learning how to fly. But seeing a lot of the pilots here now; it kind of looks like they haven't flown the Kessel Run at all."

-So it would be a measure of will, strength, and nerve. Kote was already confident in his own skills as a pilot. But just what about the rest of these flyboys? Well that would be a wait and see moment there.-
                  sigpic

Comment

The key to running this is to just let go and fly it, that's how you can do it in 15 parsecs or less. I ran it a couple of times, too many idiots are gonna try and blow through this. They're gonna run with a flight path and it's gonna bring more of a need for those rescue shuttles than you might think. Taking the last bite he heard his droid complain about how they should be launching now. So he punched up a couple of commands on his console and let the intakes slowly begin to prime. No, he wasn't blowing off Kote, he was multi-tasking.

Both times I ran it was with my brother, we were in a freighter, highly maneuverable but it was still a (censored). You want to see what I can do in a fighter? I can't explain it, I just do it. Trace my signal, best I can say, but I think your message would be best sent if you let a few idiots go first. Let them fail and those few who run it well enough I'll blow through them.

Comment

-The mandalorian appreciated every word that Ewan said. A real veteran for the NR navy, and he chose to fly an X-Wing still. Some wanted to go as far as getting into a command ship or something else. But Tal was still nonetheless happy to understand and know that a lot of his higher ranking Navy personal were willing to fly an X-Wing for the New Republic. And that was a good reason to be here today. Turning on his heals; the blond mandalorian glanced as the pilots prepared. Of course; Tal wasn't wearing his flight suit so he may as well get ready himself. But before that he had to make the announcement of launch.-

"Alright," -Tal said gaining the attention of the pilots here.- "I hope you all are prepared for this, because I am accepting any volunteers to go first. If you think you can handle the run first... then get into your fighters and prepare for take off."

-With that; Kote allowed for the pilots to talk amongst themselves of who would actually volunteer to go first.-
                      sigpic

Comment

oops

Comment

Meteor's was the first fighter out of The Azrael but he was putting the X-Wing through her paces, running tight circles around the Mon Calamari battle cruiser. Others seemed to take this as he didn't want to go first, they were right but not for the reason that most of them thought. Razorback 9 was the first one out of the blocks and made it two parsecs in his A-wing before sideswiping an asteroid and sent spinning. Nightigngale 3 was the closest Teylander shuttle to pick up the angry human pilot who refused to show humility but hubris that it was engine malfunction. Acklay 3 had better luck as the E-Wing actually completed the course in a respectable time, he went the full 18 parsecs at cruising speed but the Lieutenant in the pilot's seat was more worried about not crashing than anything, respectable.

The next pilot, Flash 8 a 19 year old hotshot Sullustan in an A-wing tried running the course at tight turns and speeds like he had the course mapped out. That was the mistake that destroyed the fighter and nearly cost him his life. Nightingale 7 was lucky enough to be right in the fighters path to pick it up in time. Then there was Mynock 2 a brand new X-wing with a seasoned Captain at the helm. The officer had his career and family to think about and took the course carefully but managed to get himself lost and ended up on the other side of the planet Kessel before regaining his bearings.

That was Ewan's cue, beating Rancorr Leader out of the block, Ewan locked his S-foils in attack position, switched deflectors to "double front" and accelerated to attack speed. He was on the course and dodging asteroids already. "Racey", call out obstacles in 90 circumference three klicks out. As the astromech acknowledged the order and began showing on his HUD where asteroids where, it was up to Ewan to make decisions on where to go, this was real time updates. No, he wasn't mapping anything out, he was flying and letting his instincts take him where he will go.

He was cutting in, around and between several of the asteroids, opening fire on those he could not dodge and ultimately making his way through to the nebulas. Only idiots or pilots in freighters tried what he was about to do witout a plan, and he was no better but switching his deflectors to "balanced", "Meteor" broke right and flew right into one of the nebulas. Flying through the purplish bands of energy like they were an asteroid field, his sensors were going crazy as if hit by an EMP burst. The controls were sluggish but manageable as the twists and turns came in and out, he wasn't sure where he was but Ewan kept his line straight and what appeared to take forever they were out of the nebula but the devilpilot and "Racey" were out.

The trip through the nebula cut a leg of the run and around more of the nebula that could not be cut through, it was a flying combination of opening and closing the S-foils. The combinations of speed-bursts with increased maneuverability made for what looked to be rather fluid flight.

He was close to the end, the shortcut worked just like it did with the last time he and Tomas ran this. The fighter was within sight of the cluster and made it within 15 parsecs. Crossing the "finish line" he had heard the chatter over the comm-links. There were complaints that he cheated, he didn't there were yelps wondering how he pulled that off, he would never tell. What he knew was that his time was the lowest, by far and while he didn't expect it to stay that way, he didn't expect much of these idiots to break it.

Comment

-Some of these pilots were cocky and arrogant. Then again Ewan had told him that they were hotshots who had nothing more but to show off during the exercise. Kote had designed it specifically to bring about the "best" pilots within the NR. He had plans for them. But thing was they didn't know that. The blond mandalorian had already planned something for a specialized unit out of the Devil Dogs. However, this was a little different then the Ghost's. Watching the trackers of each pilot and how they went about the course was interesting enough. Each had their own way of taking the course and an interesting decision of which kind of fighter they wanted to fly. E-Wings, X-Wings, A-Wings, and even a few B-Wings. Some managed to make it through while others were simply to scared.-

-Of course that wasn't to say anything about the mandalorian himself. Even Tal had his own experience as a pilot. But that was long before he had joined the NR. His joining only told that he was a ground warrior holding a blaster. Truth be told.... Kote was just as eager to jump back into the pilot seat as any other person. Saying whether or not he understood the controls to an X-Wing was a different story though. Tal was always used to his Firespray. Of course the Firespray was a little bigger in height compared to an X-Wing fighter. So what was the mandalorian going to fly after seeing the great number of versatility in fighters.-

Simple enough.

-Shortly after Ewan had taken off; Tal strapped a standard NR pilot helmet to his head. Of course his attire was the overall basic jumpsuit any NR pilot would wear. However, his fighter was of older model. A V-19 Torrent starfighter. This vessel had it's original paint scheme on it, but had been modified for flight and combat if need be. It was just as capable as any of the X-Wings here. But why would the High General choose an outdated model from the Clone Wars. Thing was.... to the blond.... the controls were a little similar to that of his old Firespray. At least that is what Tal thought. Jumping into the fighters pilot seat -- minus an astromech droid -- Kote prepared for lift off.-

"Alright here we go..." -The engines roared to life; it was a display of how these vessels were really used during that time of war so many years ago. Slowly the fighter lifted off lowering it's wings and tail down before flying out of the hanger into open space. Clicking a few commands in; Kote took a hold of the controls prepared and ready to fly the old V-19 through the course himself.-
                            sigpic

Comment

The thing about flying the Kessel Run is that it is normally done in light freighters, highly maneuverable, well manned ships that could handle what the parsecs had to throw at them. Running this in a fighter, at attack speed, well it takes a lot out of a pilot, surgically rebuilt back or not. So as he relaxed and enjoyed the ride, Ewan let "Racey" pilot the X-wing back to the Azrael. He was going to nap for the short trip but the kid... yeah kid... was flying it. A V-19 was a rustbucket but could turn on an Akk-Dog hair.

Deciding to through the General a bone he sent a text message "Enjoy the run...". With that he opened the canopy as the X-wing floated past the environmental control shields and set down. He was met by over two dozen pilots and flight crew, some disbelievers who yelled out how he cheated in their eyes, there were some that wanted to know how he could survive or if they were played. He did nothing, he said nothing but...

Let's wait for the General to return.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              G-NF0GT8SKB1