The more things change... (Jedi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more things change... (Jedi)

"Never say "never" about anything, because if you do, life has a way of humbling you.

"

Ha! Yes, I will and you know it. Uh huh... right... heh. Listen babe, I'm about to walk through the front, I'll talk to you later alright? Love you too.

Cutting the comm-link as he stood in front of the gates to the Great Hall stood a monster of a human. Not literally, but the man was enormous, massive even. He was once a regular among these halls, a Jedi Master. Was he now? Probably, sure. However you couldn't tell by the look of him, not that anyone who knew him ever could. The man had a rough exterior, and gruff interior, fiercly loyal and an almost unparralelled warrior.

The Jedi Master did nothing unless it was considered "epic", it's just who he was, and how he taught his Learners. However there was always something... different... about him. Jedi do not show heavy emotions, he sure did. He was often in disagreements and distrust of much of the Council. He often "took the fight" to the galaxy and it often put a target on his back. It was when several Jedi had told him that he was better off away than here that the "Boulder" of a man did indeed leave.

His time away was long, long enough for him not to recognize anyone who walked through these halls. His time was not wasted either, he had learned much, experienced more, and gained even more experience. What exactly happened?

Well, you're going to have to ask him as he is unlocking and walking into his long dormant quarters.

You have power over your mind, not outside events.
    Realize this and you will find strength.

Jacob took the time usually in the mornings to run up to the top floor of the living quarters. More it was him trying to push himself to see how far he could run without the aid of the Force. That being said Jacob had run through the living quarters and up the flights of stairs. Keeping a good pace he then made it all the way to the top floor and then turned the corner. To which he saw someone walk into the empty one...well not empty. More or less it was still someone's quarters they just hadn't been there it what seemed like ages. Canting his head Jacob wondered if someone walked in there to dust off the stuff in there.

The Knight then casually walked to the door and then peeked his head in. Widening his eyes by who he saw made him step back a bit. It was Caltin Vanagor of all people! He hadn't seen him since he sent him on his Trials for Knighthood. He passed them with flying colors, well by his standards, and now was a full fledged Jedi Knight. With that the young man then walked inside the door and then canted his head.

"Caltin? Is that you...or am I seeing things again?" He then asked.

I've been defeated and brought down...dropped to my knees when hope ran out...

Jacob Jr's Theme Song

Jacob's Alternate Theme

Comment

Nila was barely a new arrival to The New Jedi Order, but she had tried to do her research. Knowing who walked these halls inside the temple was rather important to her. So when Caltin Vanagor walked through, of course Nila noticed him. He walked valiantly but confidently. He looked easily intimidating at first glance, but canting a gaze in his general direction briefly, that was not the thought that came to Nila's mind. Perhaps she do not know his name as of yet, or just who he was, but his mere presence made him stick out in a kind of manner which made him easily memorable. "Hmm .. interesting .." The well built male drifted off as quickly as he had come to be noticed. "He's gotta be a teddy bear on the inside ..." Nila knew absolutely next to nothing about most legends in the temple, including Caltin, other than what she could read up on. She would be curious to meet him eventually, if she could spot him. As colossal as he appeared to be, within a blink of an eye, he was easily gone again. If it hadn't been for Jacob's noble presence, Nila was not likely to know where to track him. Not one to impose, and Caltin a new face for her, Nila chose to linger behind, expecting that she might catch Caltin Vanagor, another time.

Comment

Do Masters no longer get addressed as such in public?

Junior's query was innocent and simple enough, and being called by ihs first name is perfectly fine, always has been. However Caltin had always adhered to the old ways and that was when there were others around, you show respect by honoring others by their achievements. It was a manner of respect, to all around. The massive Jedi Master would not address the issue, but the reaction he gave once his name was spoken did the work for him, hopefully.

That depends on what you are looking for.

Then he could feel the tepid other approaching, as if she had lost a bet. Was he that fearsome? Didn't matter at this point, he was who he was. However if things like this were going to happen, then maybe the Force is what brought him back here, and not the need to clean out his vault.

You do not need to hide... I am just as human as you are.

He said nothing as he glared at Junior, and then the direction of the woman to whom he had, they both would have sensed at this point. Junior was smart enough to pick up on that.

Comment

The reaction Caltin gave made Jacob know then that he wasn't seeing things. Nearly stepping back and tripping the Knight then straightened up and then finally managed to stutter out, "Oh...it...is...Master Caltin. I'm sorry I just had to know it was the real you and not the Force playing tricks on me again."

Though he didn't sense the presence of Nila right away, he did after the ordeal a second ago with Caltin. At that point Jacob had reached out with the Force and picked up on the slight aura of the Force lurking outside. Once Caltin addressed her, Jacob then cleared his throat looking at the floor. To which his heart started racing and he then turned his heel. Although it was an awkward one like he just needed to get outta the way.

"I'll...umm...leave you alone...I can see that your angry and...umm..." Jacob felt his mouth dry up instantly as he then did his best to get out the door and away as quick as possible.

Jacob Jr's Theme Song

Jacob's Alternate Theme

Comment

Though very much appointed a novice as a Jedi, Nila did not have to be so inexperienced to sense the unexpected tension that suddenly had come to settle. Upon her approach, noting Jacob's quick rush for a retreat, she did something bold, but not something too surprising, reminding him of some form of comfort he once knew. She wrapped a confident arm about the young man's waist and gently squeezed in a tender soothing gesture of comfort. The two had barely come to know one another yet, but already Junior was leaving a positive imprint upon her. Slowly she took to uncoiling her arm about him, locking eyes with him, allowing her gaze to offer a natural sense of admiration toward him. It was not her aim to mend whatever had jostled Jacob's aura, she had merely wanted to remind him that there simply was no need. Everything was alright. It was not her place to tell him to go or to stay, but inwardly, she did hope Jacob would stay, just on the mere exchange that she did enjoy Jacob being around.

Having come from Corellia, and having little familiarity with force user interactions, Nila was not at all certain how to greet the Master Jedi. Giving Jacob his space, Nila then took to bowing her head somewhat, something she had seen already numerous times throughout the temple when offering greetings. She understood the gesture to be a sign of respect and a part of her wished that she had offered the same kind of gesture to Jacob upon first meeting him too, but she was still learning. So of course after bowing her head toward Caltin, she did the same toward Jacob, having offered a subtle smile toward both men in the process. "Forgive me, Master Jedi, I did not wish to impose, but we humans are prone to many mistakes .." Had she felt she had made a mistake in not following after Jacob to meet Master Caltin at first? Not at all. It was more a quiet reminder for herself, that she was making as many as the next person, something that ought to have quietly been a comfort for Junior. He was sure to quietly recognize that she had not bowed toward Jacob upon their first meeting. " .. and therein lies the rub, I suppose - we cannot control how another will react according to our own reactions, but I too so hope that Master Jacob can forgive me as well. I did make the mistake of not offering him a proper bow upon first meeting him. Perhaps he ought to consider it a learning experience for me." It seemed Jacob was stumbling, and Nila had seen that, but he was not alone, but how Junior responded to Master Vanagor for himself, made all the difference inwardly for him. Nila did not consider that Jacob had anything to worry about, from her point of view, but she was also a candidate that took a lot of matters in stride.

Nila's eyes twinkled a bit. Yes, even in person, Master Vanagor could seem intimidating on first glance, but upon her first interaction, Nila thought him wise and impactful, anything but intimidating. "My name is Nila Viern, freshly minted to the temple, and it is nice to meet you. I hope to make your acquaintance further in the future, and even be imparted with your wise teachings, as I am eager to establish with many of the mentors here."

Comment

By the Force...

Vanagor was well aware that Junior had passed his trials, and had attained the level and title of Jedi Knight. It was well earned, and deserved, and something he was about to be congratulated on, however he wasbeing held back by his insecurities. Feeling his own inward hypocrisy as he himself once had the issue of his emotions controlling him, the massive Jedi Master shook his head at the younger Murano. Not in disappointment, or anger, but in denial.

Hold your position. In fact, come in and shut the door behind you. Padawan? Give us a moment.

This was better done privately, Junior deserved that. Once the door was shut, Caltin gave the silence another moment to settle, it wasn't to be menacing, or intimidating, but to listen for any others approaching, or sensing anyone trying to listen in. Satisfied that he could speak freely, he looked Jacob in the eye.

You know full well that when there is no one else in the area, in other words, private conversations, I prefer you use my first name. Our titles in public is tradition based, you will start to understand that soon enough. You will also learn that while you are indeed your father's son, you are your own man.

You have attained the level of Jedi Knight, something not many do. It is a title of honor, a symbol to the hopeless. While you should never revel or show hubris in it, you should be proud of your accomplishment. You earned it on your own, no one gave it to you. Junior, when you realize that you are a naturally, not legacy, gifted Jedi, you will finally step out of the self imposed shadow of your father.

Harsh words? Maybe, but Caltin never minced, and not only should a Knight not be coddled like a Padawan, but Junior seemed to respond well to this type of speak. As Caltin reached out through the Force and opened the door, he waved for the Padawan to enter. He sized her up in her personal greeting. The woman was kind, a gentle soul. He respected that, though the doting that she seemed to lean towards irritated him, not generally, but personally, he never enjoyed being doted upon as he felt it would be better spent on others who needed more attention than he. None of this was the fault of the Padawan, and he gave no inkling that it did or should.

Just ask poor Amalia.

Welcome. Master Vanagor at your service. While my door is... mostly... open... be warned that mentoring is something you should take seriously and look to those who represent your values, or the closest to them. It is them that you will learn the most from.

No, he was not denying her, not at all. However, he wasn't wrong in his statement.
              Last edited by Caltin Vanagor; 05-19-2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Jacob then felt the arm of Nila around him keeping him inside as he then released the tension in his muscles for the second. It was then that Nila said that they were humans and they made mistakes. That she didn't mean what she did and Jacob nodded and blinked. All that being said when Caltin spoke he then felt at ease then since the massive Jedi Master made it clear he wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. More or less he was trying to remind Jacob of the titles and such. When Caltin told Nila to leave for a moment and she cleared out he then turned and closed the door.

As the "dust" settled the Jedi Master reminded him that titles were for open areas and when they were in private then it was allowed to use first names. Nodding his head Jacob did understand that. Truth he was still used to the younglings calling him "Master Jacob" now and he was still in fact getting used to being a Knight. A smile formed his face when Caltin said that even though he was his father's son he was his own man and he then had to agree with that. Jacob didn't take arrogance in being a Knight and he was still getting used to being at this stage. He was a young man and he attained the rank and that was all he wanted to do. The younger Murano was already wise or even more wise than his father. It was this that made Jacob proud of himself. His mother was very proud of her son, of course.

"I apologize, Master. After you know being in that cave...I just really really had to be sure it was you and that something didn't follow me home," Jacob spoke to Caltin looking him dead in the eyes, even though he had to look up slightly, then added, "But, thanks. I needed that."

When Nila came back in he was back to being himself. Everything was alright now and he cleared everything up with Caltin. As the woman brought up the idea of mentoring and such he then smirked briefly. The young Knight then stood with his hands clasped behind him like he was standing "at ease". Though the massive Jedi made a statement that was partially true, he wasn't denying anything to her. A statement that made Jacob chuckle on the inside.

Jacob then put a finger up, "I actually suggested that to her, Master Vanagor. I feel she could benefit. If there is something one cannot teach, it is best to learn from one who does. Coming from personal experience."

Jacob Jr's Theme Song

Jacob's Alternate Theme

Comment

Nodding her head in thoughtful acknowledgement, Nila stepped back to give the two men some much deserved privacy. Though Nila's curiosity easily found its way to want to run amuck, the matter at hand was not of her business. So as not to even give herself the wherewithal to eavesdrop, the Padawan stood back far enough to not even accept temptation. Although not the sort to mind another's business, she did believe in the idea of not even presenting herself with the opportunity. She stood respectfully in wait, but still at ease, hands laced thoughtfully behind her back as she awaited the return of the two gentlemen.

With the return of both men, Nila found some sense of relief, considering that perhaps that the two men may have talked to productive result. Not that it seemed necessary to Nila's mind, but she did find contentment in both men having a different interaction with their return. It was enough to leave Nila feeling that maybe, her response to sooth, may not have been all that necessary. She could not have helped herself, her motherly instincts having kicked in. Her children, though absent, were still so very young, and they easily benefited from Nila's tenderness. She was used to it and it was what she knew, but she did not concede that it was always the proper method for her. Just instinctual. While Caltin and Jacob had been conversing, Nila had privately mused on what she could have done differently, in an effort to learn. She was not yet close with Jacob, and she did not know him well enough to know if he appreciated her tender candor or not. She did not mind her actions, but she did realize that she was not a mother here, but a Jedi. She would need to become more self aware of this fact. "A wise observation to be sure, Master Vanagor - I honestly had not considered such a thought with mentoring before, so I do appreciate the feedback, thank you," she stated with a soft smile. She really hadn't given much thought previously to what Caltin had shared. To the newly minted Jedi, the ability to learn was valuable enough in itself, but she did agree with Master Vanagor's assessment having thought on it further. Being in common accord with those she was to learn from would be invaluable to her. She still did not find any personal qualms yet in learning from someone she maybe did not find agreement with, considering that a different perspective could open her mind to something new. Silently, she did find potential in that, but that was a structure of her continuous analytical and yet somewhat critical mind, having nothing to do with what the Master had given for food for thought. She would know better though once she had personal experience with such instruction. Until then, she would thoughtfully keep to the back of her mind, what Master Vanagor had imparted to her, as he was a Master full of elongated lightside experience.

Offering a somewhat pensive expression, Nila nodded her head just a touch. "I try to respect all varying view points," she shared thoughtfully and with contentment. She sought to convey to both men, and their interaction with her, easily gave her much to think about and learn, even in minor conversation thus far.

Comment

B.B.V.S.

Comment

His eyes started to crackle, it wasn't an emotional response, simply something he was getting used to. Jacob was a quick study, so as while he didn't need to stand down, he did get where the Massive Jedi Master was coming from. In fact Caltin respected the way that the younger Murano stood up for the Padawan, the kid had a long trip ahead of him, but he set off on the right foot.

No worries.

Continuing to go look around the room, he kept up with the conversation. Clearly looking for personal items, but not in a manner that would send others away, part of him was wondering why the Force brought him through the front door. The funny thing about it is, another part of him ignored it. The Padawan made an interesting comment, well put, eloquent and wise beyond her age, but...

Well put, and for the most part, a spot on approach.

Through the force, he closed pulled items out the closet.

I was referring more our futures. Me for example, if I faced a locked door that I needed to get through... well let's be honest, I'm going to kick it open. You are definitely the type to look for a key, Jacob here would simply see if the door is unlocked.

In his own unceremoniously subtle way, Caltin had just described the Guardian, the Consular, and then Sentinel. The three fabled life paths of the Jedi. Not to steer her away, but so as she had the best chance for a good life
                      Last edited by Caltin Vanagor; 11-01-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X